From: Dave Homstad <dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] them radial tires again!

Lars,

I currently have P215/75R15 Firestone 721 Radials, with radial tubes, on my
56 Dodge Custom Royal. These came mounted on a nice set of 50's Dodge wire
wheels that I bought (it was a great deal on the wheels) at a swap meet.
They fit nicely in the wheel well, no rubbing, and I like the way they look:
lower and wider than the original skinny 50's tires. They handle the corners
great and have great traction, but I think the steering effort is up a
little for parking manuvers. They have a much harsher ride than the nearly
new Remington G78/15 WWW bias belted tires they replaced. I feel the cracks
in the pavement much more with the radials. I think this may be because
radials run at a higher tire pressure than the belted tires, and king pin
suspensions are not "radial tuned".

On a separate note, I do NOT recommend these 721 Firestones, as they have
been slowly going out of round over the last 6 years since I got them. This
year, they have gotten so bad, they are becoming undriveable. I checked the
wire wheels for trueness, and it is definitely the tires. These still have
about 80% or 90% of the tread left. I seem to remember that Firestone 721s
had a poor reputation, even when they were new. Anybody on the list know
anything about these 721s? I will be going back to my Remingtons on standard
wheels with Lancer wheel covers, unless I decide to spend the money for
better radials.

I recently learned something on my daily driver (92 Crown Vic, retired
highway patrol) about radial tires: all radials of the same size are not
created equal. I replaced some worn out BFG 215/70R15 tires with the same
size in a Michelin X1, a couple of weeks ago. Great wet traction. I also
immediately noticed a significant difference in cornering. These Michelins
have very little give in the sidewalls, so they do not twist when you turn.
The result is a much faster steering response. After 70,000 miles, I had to
relearn the car's cornering characteristics all over again. The first couple
of hard corners I took, I gave the car the same amount of turn at the
steering wheel that you get used to after a long time, and the car over
reacted, big time. These tires also absorb a lot less of the small road
bumps because of the stiffer side walls. The stiff suspension transmits more
to the car body, so I feel more bumps in the road surface. On an older car
with king pins or a non-radial tuned suspension, these Michelins would also
transmit a lot more bumps. Side wall stiffness is a tradeoff between
cornering and ride feel. A soft ride results from squishy side walls, which
result in more wiggle in corners and accelerated edge wear on the tires.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500