[FWDLK] Firing the 55 Plymouth

Part 2---Readying the 55 Plymouth
    I got some transmission fluid today and filed the transmission with a
few quarts so it was on the dipstick.  I then put the battery terminals back
on.  I put some light greese on the battery terminals before I slid the
cable ends on.  I made a felt washer for the positive post and soaked it in
motor oil, squeesed it out and slid it over the positive terminal as the
book states.  And then put the cable on.  Now my Dad told me Sunday, that
the felt was to prevent the white corrosion from going up the battery post.
Any body got any other info  that??  The book talks of the oiled felt, but
maybe I didn't read enough to find out the reason behind it, but it may be
that ol' Dad may be right. He usually is.   Any way I got one felt under the
Positive terminal.
    I then got in and started cranking her and soon she just fired right up
to a purring idle.  I then shifted it thru all the gears of the Powerflite
and then shut it down.  Checking the trans fluid  and filling to the proper
mark on the dipstick. I done this about 2 times to attain the proper level.
Then I left it run for a while so as to warm the oil to change it and the
filter.  I pulled the cover off the oil filter and removed the cartridge.  I
then took an old freon tank (the ones before the check valves in the valve
of the tanks)  pulled it into a vacuum, attached a 3/8" clear vinal hose to
the fitting on the tank and sucked the oil out of the filter housing
allowing me to clean the inside of the housing without a mess.  After
cleaning the top of the oil filter housing and replacing the filter and the
drain plug on the pan, I filled it up with oil and run her again.  Time was
running out and it was getting dark, so tomorrow nite will be the nite to
drop her off the stands and give the test run on the brakes.
    More tomorrow nite

Jack  55 Plymouth Belverere