Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 25 Jul 1999 to 26 Jul 1999

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 25 Jul 1999 to 26 Jul 1999 (#1...

A couple of comments on the note Bill Borton wrote concerning Fluid
Drive:

> In 1940, Chrysler models also began offering a semi automatic
> transmission
> (Vacamatic) which was available as an option, in addition but in
> conjunction
> with Fluid Drive.

It was used on the 1941 and 42 De Soto and was called 'Simplimatic'.
This semi-automatic tranny was vacum operated. It was replaced after
WWII with a redesigned unit that was hydraulic. Called the Prestomatic
in Chrysler, Tip Toe Shift in De Soto and Gyromatic in Dodge.My 1952
Motors Repair Manual notes that some 51-52 V8s had as special equipment
the torque converter that was standard on 8 passenger sedans and limos.

De Sotoly yours,
Ed