Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 25 Jul 1999 to 26 Jul 1999

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 25 Jul 1999 to 26 Jul 1999 (#1...

I just wanted to clear up something for all forward lookers since it seems
many like myself are also involved with pre 55 Chrysler products as well.
Regarding the term "Fluid Drive," this is not a transmission but a fluid
coupling clutch.  With Fluid Drive you have a conventional 3 speed column
shift, but only need to use the clutch pedal if you want to change gears; ie
when coming to a stop you do not have to push in the clutch pedal.  You can
start out in 1st, 2nd or 3rd but of course not exactly with blazing speed.
In 1940, Chrysler models also began offering a semi automatic transmission
(Vacamatic) which was available as an option, in addition but in conjunction
with Fluid Drive.  To follow, DeSoto and Dodge would eventually offer these
semi -automatic transmissions,(under various names) which we used to call
"clunk O Matics" due to the sound they made when shifting.  Remember, Fluid
Drive is simply in reference to the clutch and not a transmission.  I hope I
didn't bore any FLKRs with this info, but it's a subject often confused and
especially younger car collectors need help with.
                                                                Bill Borton