Re: [FWDLK] about that 331 Hemi

Phil Patterson writes: The early hemi was a reliable and basically trouble free
motor, the only thing you have to keep an eye on is adjusting the valves, if
they need it, and valve cover oil leaks, especially around the spark plug tubes.
It is huge and massive looking, so it is a little intimidating. My 54 331 took
all sort of abuse and never gave me a moment of trouble,wish I could say that
about the 6 volt electronics. Even with a rebuilt generator and new regulator,
it was hard to keep the battery charged and the headlights were always dim
compared to 12 volt cars. But I ended up working on a friend's 327 Chevy way
more then I ever did my 54 Chrysler. The Fluid drive is something I have had no
experience in , so I can't be of any help there. But I haven't heard any
complaints in reliablity of the Fluid drive, just don't expect rapid
acceleration. They are supposed to be nowhere as crisp or responsive as later
automatics.