[FWDLK] Fluid Drive, Clunk-O-Matic, et al

[FWDLK] Fluid Drive, Clunk-O-Matic, et al

To The List:

The first car I ever owned was a 1941 Dodge with Fluid drive.  Very good,
very reliable, VERY SLOW, because the fluid drive unit (which replaced the
flywheel) weighed so much.  you could drive away from any stoplight in any
gear.  high gear felt like a motorboat.  I eventually drag-raced (and lost)
so much that I managed to shear all the bolts holding the coupling to the
crankshaft.  Try explaining THAT to your Dad!

When I first went to work as a test driver at Chrysler Central Engineering,
we still had Clunk-O- Matic cars with hemi engines.  They were ABSOLUTELY
UNBEATABLE at stoplight drag racing in the city.  You simply start out in low
gear and get all you can out of that gear.  When it is time, you power shift
from low-low to high-low, by bouncing the clutch and pulling the shift lever
straight down.  Wide open throttle will get you to about 60 MPH in high-low.
In the city, you never need more, because you will be at the next light,
stopping.

In the country, however, you are doomed to lose considerable lead, because
there is no way to upshift any more except by picking your foot and waiting
for the engine to slow down to match your road speed, when you hear and feel
the "Clunk", after which you may proceede on your way....

I've been following this thread with interest, and just HAD to put in my 2
cents worth!

Joe Savard
1957 Chrysler Saratoga 4dr
This car is about a 4 1/2... Anyone got any parts?  ;-)