[FWDLK] Soundproofing, Rustproofing

No one has mentioned Ziebart or its equivalent.
There are several similar products.  Many Z dealers have more than one
formula of sealant, some sets up fast and more or less hard, others softer.
Some are now almost transparent, others opaque brown, and few use the old
dark dark brown of years ago.
There are also the new liquid bedliners that (I think) are sprayed on hot.
They appear quite durable and approximates the asphaltum soundproofing
product Dave VH has mentioned, which dampens noise on large sheet metal
panels.
I have had the inside of doors, box sections treated with Ziebart, maybe 8
years ago, after a thorough washing, drying, etc by myself.  Fender
underside, after being bead blasted, were primed and sprayed with that
wonderful one part Urethane, but it dont deaden sound or stones.  Ziebart
would, at the cost of some non originality?
Further, inside all my door panels and back area panels, I installed a heavy
recycled rag material, high density, avail in I think 1/2 and 3/4 "
thickness.  Simply bonded that to the backside of the door panels and cargo
area panels.  It is water absorbent but the protective plastic 'drape' on
each panel protects it.  And it does a great job under carpet too.  Most uph
shops will have it by the yard.  Standard carpet pad is not particularly
effective.
Back to physics class, two basic ways to reduce sound transmission- mass or
reduce diaphramatic action- the grey recycled carpet pad-like stuff has
relative high mass.
IMHO using the 'street rodder' high buck stuff with alum foil one side is not
cost effective, it lacks the mass to do a really decent job.  And remember
the foil must have an air space to do any good, just like on a house.
In any case U pays UR money and takes UR choice.
L.

A final PS- be advissed that Ziebart dealers may get their sealant from any
source and due to cost many do NOT buy it from ziebart in Deeeetroit.  So
there is a variation in product and quality between dealers even tho it say
Ziebart on the door sign.  Or even the drums... they can be refilled!
My brother in Florida just sold his last shop down there, so my info is from
the source.  Note he had in the past even sprayed off site, soundproofing
between apartment units!  Again, there is a variety of product.