Re: [FWDLK] '57 plymouth springs

Hi Tom & all,

I have a few 57 Dodge D500s and the following is what I've
been able to find out with the help of Neil Vedder in CA.
Since the D500 was an engine option only and was available
on all models of 57 Dodges, the D500s were never considered
as a "separate series" like the Fury, Adventurer or 300s.

Consequently, the number of leafs in all rear springs of all
the 57 Dodges was 4 1/2 and 5 for the station wagons.
Suspension option clues will come from the part numbers on
the torsion bars since that is where the heavy duty option
changes were made.

There will be a part number stamped on the end of your
torsion bars and the number for the standard suspension 57
Dodge Custom Royals should be 1635-950 / 951 or the "Heavy
Duty" 1635-952 /953 (the parts book is somewhat ambiguous on
that point).

The Royals had 1635-952 /953 or their "Heavy Duty" numbers
1635-956 /957.

1957 Furys probably had 1635-956 /957.

These numbers were all considered "standard" torsion bars.
The 1635-950 / 951 bars should mic out at 1.04" Dia. whereas
Fury bars are supposed to be 1.08" and the largest of the
heavy duty bars should mic 1.11" Dia.

If your torsion bars have ever been replaced by a dealer the
number will probably be a generic DP/CD #103 - if it wasn't
replaced with another original equipment bar from another
car perhaps by an earlier non-original owner.

There is another nagging question about these 1957 D500s and
that concerns the anti-sway bar which have shown up on some
cars and not on others. It also didn't seem to correlate
with either suspension option - does anyone know whether the
bar was a separate option or just that some cars got them
and others didn't or some people just installed them on
their own??

Brian