[FWDLK] List Ettiquitte & Such

Hi All,

Now that we are as large as we are, it's more important than ever to
pay attention to mailing list ettiquitte and appropriate usage of our
mailing list.

So, here's a few things to think about before ya' send out
that next post...

1) PLEASE think about this before you send out a message. Ask yourself:
   Does everyone need to read this, or should I maybe just send this to
   one person specifically? Emailing the list asking if anyone knows
   how to replate pot metal would be just fine.  Emailing the list to
   ask one individual if they will be going to Thursday's local cruise
   night is bad. (You get the idea.)  This is the most important thing
   you need to do -- stay on topic (Forward Look MoPars) --
  and keep personal conversations personal.  PLEASE

2) Before replying to a post, read ALL of your current list mail, as
   someone else may have already replied with the exact same thing.

3) The focus of most of the people on this list is restoration and
preservation.
   While modified/customized cars are fine, please limit your questions
and
   resonses to remain relevant to the list.  Asking about engine swaps
etc.,  is
   fine, but once you find people willing to help, please move the
discussion
   "off - list" and email each other privately.  This will help reduce
the friction
   between some restorers and customizers.

4) When replying to an article it is not necessary to quote the entire
   article back to the list, use your editor to trim out all but what is

   relevant to your reply. This makes things a lot easier to read and
   saves bandwidth as well.

5) SENDING OUT POSTS IN ALL CAPS IS CALLED "SHOUTING".
   IT'S HARD TO READ,  AND MAY ANNOY SOME PEOPLE BADLY.
   (My mom types this way all the time... still can't get her to
   change...)

6) Please DO NOT post pictures or other attachments to the list.  Also,
never
   send jokes, virus warnings (these are almost always HOAXES), or other

   off-topic, forwarded emails to the list.  If you have a serious virus
concern
   that you would like to share with the list, please drop me a line at
this address.
   Fighting computer viruses is what I do for a living...

7) "Flame wars" and bashing of other people's opinions, cars, etc are
   NOT permitted. The list is intended to be productive and
   informative. An animated discussion is fine, but remember, insults
   can hurt feelings.

8) "For Sale" and "Wanted" posts are fine, as long as the number of
   posts is within reason. Please, when possible, combine all your
   items wanted or items for sale into one message, rather than
   posting each item individually.  Also remember to post those items
   to the web site for best results.

9) If you are getting too many messages per day, you can set the
   listserv so that you only receive the list in "digest" form
   (1 a day).  Send a message to LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, with any
   "Subject", and in the body of the message type only:

   SET L-FORWARDLOOK DIGEST

   ... and then send the message.

   For setting other options, please see below.

If you have questions about any of the above, just drop me a line.

-Dave Stragand

How To Set Your Subscription Options:

Here's the options that may be set

1)  MAIL/NOMAIL

Setting this option to Mail indicates that you will receive mail from
the list. NOMail is the complementary command that stops
mail but leaves you subscribed to the list. (NOMail is often a good
compromise for users who are leaving the office for vacation
or on extended business trips, and who don't want a full mailbox on
their return.) The format of the messages received is
controlled by the DIGEST/INDEX/NODIGEST/NOINDEX options (see below).

2)  DIGEST/NODIGEST

Causes the subscriber to receive one posting per digest cycle (typically
daily) rather than individual messages as they are
processed by LISTSERV. The MAIL/NOMAIL option controls whether messages
should be delivered, and the
DIGEST/INDEX/NODIGEST/NOINDEX option controls the format in which
messages should be delivered. Thus, switching
to NOMAIL and back to MAIL does not destroy the digest/index/normal
delivery setting; it simply determines whether or not
LISTSERV should send any list mail to you. To provide as much
compatibility with older syntax as possible, the four options
operate as follows:

 DIGEST:
          enable digest delivery mode (which negates INDEX), enable mail
delivery.
 NODIGEST:
          disabled digest mode
          enable index delivery mode (which negates DIGEST), enable mail
delivery
 NOINDEX:
          disable index mode
 NOMAIL:
          disable mail delivery.
 MAIL:
          restore mail delivery, without altering the
digest/index/normal delivery setting
 HTML:
          when combined with DIGEST, you will receive a nicely formatted
point-and-click digest each day.
 NOHTML:
          turn off HTML mode