Re: [FWDLK] rape of AMC?

In a message dated 10/5/99 10:10:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bintakin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Chrysler did buy AMC, they have as much
 right to claimed heritage as GM does for buying Oldsmobile. >>

 Actually I disagree. GM put a lot into Oldsmobile, It built better quality
and supplied the materials and manpower to multiply production.  Chrysler had
NO plans to improve AMC. Chrysler just wanted the Jeep.  Chrysler did do good
with a lot of AMC employees, many of them still work for Daimler, but the AMC
Marque is dead. And that is how the industry works, I am just saying it is
bogus to sit and imply that Chrysler had ANYTHING to do with a Hudson.  And
as you said "Those AMC cars are as much a part of Chrysler history as Simca,
Lambourghini, Jensen and several others".. Well technically you are right. In
a legal sense AMC is Chrysler property, but can you honestly tell a 1953
Hudson owner that he owns a Chrysler? And would you believe yourself if you
did?
  You cannot rewrite history, and that is what Chrysler is doing.  This is
just there new way of doing so. Which is a much smoother and less aggressive
way then what they did in the 1980s and early 90's.  After the AMC buyout,
Chrysler refused to let anyone use the AMC name or logo, and threatened to
sue the clubs if they made any club merchandise with AMC or AMC logos on it.
Now if that wasn't trying to kill AMC what is? Then in the 90's they started
to publish the ads stating that Chrysler made all these technological
breakthroughs with the Jeep in the 1940s and 1950s, Pretty good since Willy's
was producing the Jeep then.
  All I am saying is that Chrysler should be proud of what they have
accomplished and not what others have.  And I see your point with the legal
stance, but just because they are legal, doesn't make them right. I do not
think any less of Daimler, and I don't think any less of people like you who
think the opposite of me.  But would you still feel the same way when Daimler
comes out with the ad for the 2004 Mercedes sedan in the Dec, 2003 Newsweek
magazine saying that they pioneered the HEMI of the 1960s and they invented
the "Forward Look".  Wouldn't that be ironic?

Josh