Re: [FWDLK] rape of AMC?

Phil Patterson writes: Before you get filled with fuzzy feelings about GM's
treatment of Oldsmobile, remember that Ransom Eli Olds had been kicked out of
 his
own company and started building Reo cars and trucks because he was forbidden to
use his own name. GM was only putting money into their investment of buying his
name. Poor Mr. Oldsmobile got the short end of the stick, but that is more the
fault of the investors who took over his company then GM's, I will admit. Yes,
Chrysler wanted the Jeep, by that time what else did AMC really have? A renault
and a few rebodied Gremlins. I don't think Chrysler having AMC products in their
museum is "rewriting history" but more a case of admitting how much the AMC
purchase helped their company, and giving credit and attention to the founders
and workers of AMC. If Chrysler isn't going to give AMC's history the respect I
do think it deserves, then who will? I won't tell a Hudson owner his car is a
Mopar, but I feel he has every right to enter his Hudson at any Mopar themed car
show and be given the respect he deserves. I do think the auto companys sending
lawyers after T shirt and memorbilia vendors is stupid and short sighted. But
don't forget, GM and Ford were already on that band wagon before Mopar decided
join in. As for Daimler-Chrysler badging Mercedes products and calling them one
of the Mopar names, I think that is relatively unlikely. One of the concerns of
the Daimler stockholders was diluting their trademark, as much as an insult that
sounds to loyal Mopar fans everywhere. I am still watching and waiting to see
what happens with the Plymouth brand name myself. This will have a lot to do
 with
and if I make a new vehicle purchase in 2001 as I had hoped to do. There are a
lot of new Chrysler products coming out that look impressive to me. But I wanted
a new Plymouth, I just have to wait and see what happens. But if
 Daimler-Chrysler
puts the ends to Plymouth, I doubt they will be all that worried about what the
AMC fans think anyway. But Chrysler should be proud of their accomplishments,
they were written off for dead in the 80's. Not too many car companys come back
from the dead. Either way, Chrysler-Daimler bought the rights to AMC, they can
 do
as they please whether we like it or not. I think they have been fairer then a
lot of other car companys would have been. And to add some Forward Look comment
to this, All the works of Virgil Exner for Chrysler should be given their
 credit,
I will be watching this as closely as I can. But museum quality cars aren't
exactly commonplace, if Chrysler needs a nice Forward Look Mopar to display, I
can only hope they come to this list and organization first. I don't think any
other group could help them faster then the Forward Look list. More attention
should be paid to the Chrysler "in laws", like AMC, Jensen, Facel, Simca and
others, but that may be beyond the scope of this list.