Re: [FWDLK] Garbage gas:

I think the "car fire" thing is actually more dangerous from
the plastic fuel filters than from the garbage gas. From
personal experience I would warn all to NOT USE THEM under
any circumstance in any vehicle. Back in the 60s I traded my
car with a friend for two weeks to use his F150 pickup
camper to go out west trout fishing. We got as far as Brush,
CO and noticed smoke coming from under the hood and pulled
off the road only to find the engine in flames! After
dumping the camper, extinguishing the fire, and burning my
arm in the process - the culprit was discovered.

My friend had installed a plastic fuel filter that had
melted in the heat because it was too close to the exhaust
manifold and began feeding fuel to the manifold which
finally spread to anything that would burn under the hood!
Given the outside temperature was about 100 degrees, but it
was the filter that caused the problem.

After a two day delay, a hospital visit, a few hundred bucks
and a helpful Ford dealer we completed our trip.

Brian