[FWDLK] breaking-in new engine

Hi all....
I will be installing a newly rebuilt engine a a 57 300C soon and remember years ago (in the 50's) many mechanics saying not to use a "detergent" oil during break-in, especially if you have chrome rings. What are you thoughts on this???

Also, what about a synthetic, like Mobil One or Castrol R ???

Any advice will likely be helpful.

Thanks
George McKovich
Stanley, Idaho