Re: [FWDLK] breaking-in new engine

George McKovich wrote:

> Hi all....
> I will be installing a newly rebuilt engine a a 57 300C soon and remember
 years ago (in the 50's) many mechanics saying not to use a "detergent" oil
 during break-in, especially if you have chrome rings. What are you thoughts on
 this???

> Also, what about a synthetic, like Mobil One or Castrol R ???

> Any advice will likely be helpful.

> Thanks
> George McKovich
> Stanley, Idaho

Straight weight for the first 500 or so miles.

I loved it when I did mine back in the 70's.  The weekend that I fired up
the "Monster" a kid I knew got his 57 chevy running. While I was breaking
in the "C" he went through 3 motors and 2 trannys. Some of the "varying"
speeds even saw a high speed blast or two. I did about 50% city and 50%
highway driving. Car ran like a top and later served as primary tow car
for our race car. Had more HP in tow car then race car. was a blast
showing up at drag strip and seeing a few others recognize what I was
towing with. Only drawback was when I presented both cars for tech at a
NHRA event. They were stuck and adamant about the "C" being a Super stock
car and not "Stock"

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy