[FWDLK] (No Subject)

Hello again.  Thanks to the couple of you folks who responded to my  polarizing
 question.  Sure enough bad voltage regulator.

Now on to the big one that I have been meaning to get around to asking.   I
 currently have a very decent, rust free, more or less original 1959 Plymouth in
 primer with the flathead six and powerflite.  Due to time and space
 considerations, I will be unable to continue restoration on my own and plan on
 going to a rod/restoration shop in my general area.  I will have 8-12K to spend
 and am concerned primarily about comfort, reliability, and safety (style was
 taken care of at the factory).  When in doubt, I would like to keep it
 original, by no means is that a hard and fast rule but I promise not to throw
 in a Chevy 305 with an  83 Trans Am dash and purple velour upholstery.  By the
 same token, please go easy on me if I ask what appears to be a stupid or
 obvious question this is my first go round with anything more than cosmetic
  freshening .

Questions.

1) Of course, anybody have any leads on a good quality Mopar friendly shop in
 the Austin, TX area?
1) Can I put hazards/back up lights in the car without too much trouble?
2) Has anyone ever put in any kind of aftermarket air conditioning in that
 flathead six?  I am really just looking to have the edge taken off of the Texas
 summers, it doesn t have to be a bone chilling monster system.  Can I keep the
 generating system intact if I add something like this, or should I find an
 alternator?  If not possible, any other suggestions for keeping my weary bones
 cool?
3) If I do an engine swap (not at all likely), what is easy and keeps the push
 button transmission intact?
4) Safety: Brake system redone with dual chamber master cylinder.  Anything else
 on brakes that shouldn t be stock?
5) What kind of money can get you a decent, driveable car nowadays?  I look
 around in the auto trader, etc. and see really obnoxious amounts spent on
 various vehicles.  Of course you can spend as much as you like and all, but am
 I realistic in thinking I can get a good quality driver for the amount of money
 I have to spend?  BTW, I did already upholster the seats and they are ready to
 go.
6) Are there any really known weak spots safety-wise that I should go over
 extremely carefully??  My three children will be riding in this car and I
 really want it as safe as possible.
7) Bottom line, I will have a ton of questions and you guys have always helped
 immensely.  I trust you and will undoubtedly have even more questions as time
 goes on.

And don t get on to me too much for wanting to stray from original on this one,
 my last 1959 Belvedere was BONE STOCK, I just wanna do it a little different
 this time.

Thanks,
William
A youngster (I m 29) keeping true classic Plymouth styling alive and well a bit
 longer.

---
William Keathley
1408 Comfort St.