Re: [FWDLK] not all women are empty-headed bimbos

Re: [FWDLK] not all women are empty-headed bimbos

Jewelry, antiques, washing machines? Get real!
Some of you guys are certainly chauvinists.
My wife has a good enough head on her shoulders not to respond to that sort
of nonsense. Regarding my old cars (over 30, at last count), here's what she
*does* respond to:

1) The notion that restoring/collecting old cars is (at least for me) about
historic preservation, not unlike old buildings or artwork, or whatever.

2) The concept that the various daily drivers that spend time in our hands
are consistent with conservation, both in terms of the environment and
social responsibility. How often does anyone really need to buy a new car,
after all? Her driver is a 93 Saturn, and we do NOT own a ridiculous SUV,
jacked up pickup truck, or Lexus-like luxoboat. I can afford a Viper, but I
drive a 64 Dart.

3) Having a place to properly store the cars and parts. Either on-site or
off, it doesn't matter. The point is to keep the parts cars out of the front
yard. Frankly, I appreciate this myself.

4) Separating the collection/restoration effort from the normal household
finances. Having a separate checking account is all that it takes. This also
provides the benefit of better monitoring of just how much your enterprise
is costing. My accountant, CFP and banker all appreciate it, too.

5) Knowing what "the plan" is for the cars. Given the march of time, what is
your ultimate plan for disposing of the cars when the time comes?

My wife saw the thread on this topic and was notably offended.
I would simply suggest communicating to your significant other the real
reasons you're involved with old cars. Spend some time figuring it out for
yourself first, if you haven't done so already. This will do everyone
involved a whole lot more good than trying to manipulate with superficial
trinkets. It can even come full circle, when your wife becomes your best PR
person, explaining and furthering your work among her friends and
acquaintances. I regularly get good leads through my wife's networking. And
if I kick the bucket unexpectedly, she'll be a lot better equipped to see
that the cars find good homes, because she will actually know something
about them. Being supported, and not ridiculed, is worth way more than
jewelry can ever buy. Isn't that what a marriage partnership is about?

D Davids
Seattle