[FWDLK] Chrysler Part Numbers

Everyone needs to understand that the part number and casting number can be
different.  Chrysler did not take the time to insure that both are the same.
This is why we scratch our heads when we can't find the part number in our
parts manual when for a fact, you personally pulled the part off your car.
They mixed and matched parts and came up with another assembled number or
reassigned it a different part number from casting number.  Never take the
part numbers so serious that you believe everything it says as the truth and
only the truth.  You may be only looking at the casting number and passing
up a true gem of a part because the guy selling it to you is reading it off
of the box it's in or your are reading the part number out of the manual and
he is reading it off of the part itself.

On my 56 Fury, I was able to locate tail light housings and back-up housings
that were bare metal and not chromed.  I wanted to get these because the
plating would turn out better than rechroming over pitted metal. The
technology of plating then and now is night and day and given the choice I
would rather have smooth clean metal than ugly pitted housings.  Both of
these parts had the same casting number, but the bare metal one had a
different part number.

The side mirrors were the same story.  Just like you I was looking for the
real part number but stumbled upon a guy who was reading only the casting
number.  Luckily I had both numbers written down and made another score.

Ed
56 Fury
64 Dart GT Conv