[FWDLK] '59 Daytona 500 (was: Running out of gas)

[FWDLK] '59 Daytona 500 (was: Running out of gas)

--- John M Zastrow <john.zastrow@GTE.NET> wrote:

(snip)

> ...Can anybody out there tell me where
> I can find a list of the past Daytona 500 winners?
> I think the first race was in 1959 and Lee Petty won
> it driving a 59 Plymouth but am not sure and would
> be nice to have a list.  Checked internet sites but
> couldn't find anything.

Lee Petty and Johnny Beauchamp were indeed in a photo
finish at the '59 Daytona 500, but sadly no MoPars in
sight.  The Pettys got a short-lived factory deal from
Oldsmobile in '57, and ran Olds until the factory
hop-up parts ran out about 1/3 of the way thru the '59
season, at which point they went back to Plymouth.

There's a beautiful book out (forget the title) which
covers every car Petty Enterprises ever raced, from
the borrowed '48 Buick that Lee rolled to the present
day, including Olds ('57-early '59), the '65 Barracuda
Richard ran as a drag car, the Ford Torinos Richard
drove in '69, and the dark period that began during
the summer of '78 and continues to the present day.
The '59 section shows a battered Savoy carrying the
#43 number, sponsored by a DeSoto-Plymouth dealer and
showing a large Forward Look emblem painted on its
side...