[FWDLK] Persistence

It took me 10 years to get hold of my 57 Windsor 2 dr hdtp.  I first saw
"Genevieve" for sale on Highway 199 in Southern Oregon.  She was pretty sad.
Had a 58 Chrysler grille in her, 57 Front bumper on her, 58 tail lights in
her, broken windshield, rusty floors, trunk wouldn't shut and doors wouldn't
latch.  They wanted $350 for her, no title, no plates and not a ghost of a
chance at running.  They moved and she didn't.  The local wrecking yard
picked her up as an abandoned car.  I tried for 10 years to buy her from the
wrecking yard.  Everytime it was "No, some "300" nut is going to come up
here and give me big money".  I tried to politely mention that a Windsor and
a "300" aren't really the same car and that there wasn't much point of
letting the car rot away.  Still he kept the big money price of $2000 on
her.  There was no talking to him.

February 1994 - About 5 years ago, the owner of the yard passed away and his
son (who I had as a student in school) took over.

I was on my way to the Medford area to purchase a 58 Windsor 2 dr hdtp to
restore when the guy in Medford backed out.  I called over to Cave Junction
and asked if the 57 was still there, the son said yes.  I asked him what
today's price was.  He said if I bought it today, I could have it for
$250.00 and to hurry because the crusher was in the yard.  I can't remember
how long it took me to get to Cave Junction, but I had an 85 Dodge 1 ton
dually with 5.54 butt gears and an 18 foot car trailer absolutely screaming
up I-5 to get there in time.

My dad and I made it in time, we loaded the car onto the trailer with a tow
truck, as the wheels on the Windsor were frozen.

It has taken three parts cars and countless hours and lots of frustration
and the green stuff, but she's almost done.  Just waiting for the final
paint and some chromework.  No more rust, no more cruddy engine, no more
broken glass.  New upholstery and everything else.  She'll be done this
summer.  Was I crazy to wait this long, probably - but I wanted a two door
hardtop and I couldn't afford one that was done, let alone find  a decent
one.  Everytime it sit in her, or driver her I'm reminded of how great it is
to be in this hobby.  Much cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Yes, persistence does pay off.