[FWDLK] general question details

People,
    Evidentally I have laid down the facts clearly enough..
     1.) I was required to pay  shipping costs BOTH WAYS...total = $30
     2.) The carburetor was broken LONG before the vendor packed it up. This was evident by the oxidation showing on the metal break, PLUS  there were no loose parts in the box.
     3.) I am not out to crucify the man. I am angry, and I  wanted  him to read the opinions of  people other than me...people who agree with me that I was treated like scum, just because I did not meekly accept an obviously damaged carburetor!
   People, I was willing to pay $200 plus shipping for this carburetor. It arrived here with the choke shaft and butterfly valve missing and the shaft pivot housing broken off. The damage was immediately obvious to me.  Okay, perhaps the vendor had a bad day...I would accept that. But why would he make me PAY to return it? Because he had my $200? Because he thought he was doing the right thing? I believe he made an honest mistake in mailing broken merchandise, but I think he should have made every effort to make good. Now he has lost this customer for good, and I certainly won't recommend him to anybody (that is putting it mildly)!
   (FYI, it was not Frank Mitchell).
I will not belabor the point...I appreciate all of your replies...I wanted to know what you  thought is considered "acceptable" in this day and age....your answers ranged from depressing to encouraging, which shows you are a true cross-section of society.