Re: [FWDLK] questions

Deane,
The fiberglass insulation can be found at any heating - air conditionioning place (building-not car).  Wrap it in heavy alum. foil.  All early B blocks had it.  I  think it was for noise control more than anything else.  Without it, engine sounds would vibrate the valley cover and be extra loud.  Near as I could tell, they were factory installed- note the extra sheet metal plate to hold the front edge down and all that I've seen were painted right along with the engine.
Mirrors: Totally unhooded ones were standard for '57 and '58 without remote mirrors ('57 didn't have remote option) and the more or less standard dealer installed mirror through '61 if the car didn't come equipped with an outside mirror. The small hooded mirrors with the same twin strut base as the '57 mirror were standard on '58 with remote and also on early (presumed) '59 cars with remotes. Later '59 cars had the bigger hooded mirrors like the '60 with or without remote.  All  '60's had the big one (if they came from the factory with mirrors).  I'm just not real sure what the '59s had if not remote- think it could be the '57 twin strut on early cars and the big '60 type on later cars.  Don't remember ever seeing the small hooded type used without remote.
Can't help you on that A/C mess- Why did you want to be in the back seat anyway? Duh!
Deane Allinson wrote:
 I've got 2 or 3 questions that I would like to have answered.1)  While I was working on the 40 yrs. of crude on the old 383ci., I found a raggedy piece of      fiberglass sandwiched between aluminum foil. I asked my Dad about this and he said that     after he bought the car the dealer installed it between the valley pan and the intake. He     said that this was a directive from Dodge to correct a heat problem when the car had been     driven for a long while it became hard to start again. This insulation cured the problem. The      question is.... is this correct? and if it is does anybody from "way up north" have a source for      a small (3/4"x18"x18" or so) piece? I might be used to insulate a stove pipe from a building.2)  What is the deal with the hooded and nonhooded fender rear views in '59,'60,etc.? My Polara       came from the factory with the nonhooded type (which I find a little sleeker looking) and       I've seen factory photos with both types on the same body style. What dictated what was      factory installed, aside the remote adjustment option? I seem to be able to find only the       hooded type now. 3)  My Dodge has the dealer installed  Mopar model "E" Cool Aire underdash type A.C. unit.     I've gotten it working OK but the plastic grill face is a mass of glued together brittle     pieces (mopar#1985565). Anybody else have one they don't need or know of a source?     I know that they are real knee knockers but when I was 16 it was a good excuse to get     my date into that big backseat at the drive-in. Deanein snowy Arkansas