Re: [FWDLK] '59 Chrysler starter

Chrysler introduced a reduction-gear starter in 1962, and it is not
interchangeable with the earlier starter.  The 1889 200 starter was
used in 1962-1964 for Chrysler and Dodge 880 models with the manual
transmission.  All the automatics and the smaller Mopars with
manual transmissions used the reduction gear starter.  With the
reduction gear starter, Chrysler changed the torque converters/
flywheels and the ring gears that go with them.  Thus they are
not interchangeable.

(The only exception to this is Canadian-built 6-cylinder Chrysler product
from 1962 to 1966.  Chrysler Canada continued to use the direct-drive
starter, and thus the 1961-style torque converter and flywheel.)

According to my 1961 parts book, the 1889 100 starter was used on the
Plymouth, while the 1889 200 was used on all American-built Mopar V8s.
The 1960 DeSoto, Chrysler and Imperial used starter 1770 712, which was
also used by Chrysler Canada for its V8 engines in 1961.   In 1959 the
1770 712 starter was used on the Chrysler and 126" wheelbase DeSoto while
the 122" wheelbase DeSoto and V-8 powered Plymouths and Dodges used
# 1779 955.  (The 1962 starter for V-8 engines with Torqueflite was # 2095
150)

During the period 1959-1961, all DeSoto, Chrysler, Imperial V8's (as well as
the 122" wheelbase Dodge;  and Plymouths/Darts with larger than
318 V8)  used torque converter # 1731 860.  This would lead me to believe
that the 1889 100 and 1770 712 starters are interchangeable.  For 1962,
torque converter # 2125 090 was used on all V-8's with Torqueflite.

Bill W.