Re: [FWDLK] '57's: History of dual vs. quadrilight headlights?

Re: [FWDLK] '57's: History of dual vs. quadrilight headlights?

The use of 4 headlamps was approved by federal law sometime in
the 1956 session of Congress.  It then had to be approved by
each state individually.  Some states had overriding laws that
gave automatic approval to federal standards but a few did not.
Therefore, these few states' legislators had to meet and vote on
this issue.  All eventually approved.

Because not all had approved at the beginning of 1957 model
production which gets into full swing in August/September,
equipment for both dual and quad lamps had to be available from
all factories.

Regards Chrysler Division, the Nov. 7, 1956, Letter of
Announcement for the 300C (this model being a late introduction)
includes dual headlamps as standard equipment but only three '57
300Cs were built prior to that.   There were 51 300Cs built
during the month of December.  A further letter dated Dec. 12,
1956, states that all 300Cs will be built with four headlamps,
however a few serial number cars higher than approx. #0030 have
been found with 2 headlamps from the factory.

While these are 300C production numbers, I believe the dates are
probably relevant to all Chrysler production if not close for
the entire industry.

Wayne