Re: [FWDLK] Deane's questions

--- Deane Allinson <deane.allinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I've got 2 or 3 questions that I would like to have
> answered.
>
> 1)  While I was working on the 40 yrs. of crude on
> the old 383ci., I found a raggedy piece of
> fiberglass sandwiched between aluminum foil. I asked
> my Dad about this and he said that after he bought
> the car the dealer installed it between the valley
> pan and the intake. He said that this was a
> directive from Dodge to correct a heat problem when
> the car had been driven for a long while it became
> hard to start again. This insulation cured the
> problem. The question is.... is this correct?

(snip)

This came up on the Imperial list a few months ago.
Apparently this was correct, at least in B/RB engines.
Later cars had this from the factory, which baffles
first-timers that much further...

> 2)  What is the deal with the hooded and nonhooded
> fender rear views in '59,'60,etc.? My Polara came
> from the factory with the nonhooded type (which I
> find a little sleeker looking) and I've seen factory
> photos with both types on the same body style. What
> dictated what was factory installed, aside the
> remote adjustment option? I seem to be able to find
> only the hooded type now.

My WAG would be factory-installed vs.
dealer-installed. It wasn't unusual for there to be a
difference, despite the dealer-installed piece having
all the right DPCD markings. Another possibility would
be different assembly plants (i.e., LA vs. Dodge Main
vs. Jefferson Ave.) using different pieces.

> 3)  My Dodge has the dealer installed  Mopar model
> "E" Cool Aire underdash type A.C. unit. I've gotten
> it working OK but the plastic grill face is a mass
> of glued together brittle pieces (mopar#1985565).
> Anybody else have one they don't need or know
> of a source?

I seem to remember an ad in Hemmings for parts like
this, seems to me the business was in Texas somewhere.
(A state where they know their air conditioners!)