Re: [FWDLK] 58 Mopar rust problem? Fact, Fiction, or just w

Re: [FWDLK] 58 Mopar rust problem? Fact, Fiction, or just way overstated?

--- Philip Patterson <bintakin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've had kind of a debate with one of the members of
> the Buick Club at the AACA Message Board
> http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
> You have to register to post there, but it is a
> decent message board. They even have a Chrysler
> section, I highly recommended registering, it's
> a good website. But one fellow on of the Buick
> boards was running his chops about the way
> overstated, in my opinion, 58 Chrysler rust
> problem....

(snip)

As I understand it there was a big rust problem in
'57, in addition to other quality control problems
that turned up that year for a variety of reasons.
I've also heard the problem was much worse on
Plymouths, Dodges and Firesweeps than on the larger
stuff, and that hardtops were more prone to premature
rustout than sedans. The '58s saw some corrective
measures taken, and also were not pumped out the
factory doors as fast as the '57s (this also helped
QC, and with that probably rust resistance as well).
Bear in mand also that the problems the '57s had stick
out in peoples minds today not so much because they
were worse than the competition as because this was
such un-MoParlike behavior compared to what had been
built as recently as the year before...

I was too little (and growing up in California) to
have heard these issues when the cars were new, so if
anyone has better scoop than I do, please correct me.