Re: [FWDLK] Fifty's Rust Problems

Greetings!

Rust was a serious problem on ALL cars in the 1957-1960 range.  I have read
several theories, which include:

1.  Change in steel quality/gauge:  Experimentation with new pocesses and
cost-cutting measures may have lowered the corrosion resistance of the steel
provided to manufacturers.  Also, metal thickness was reduced somewhat to
lighten cars being built wider and longer than earlier models.

2.   Design factors:  Lowering rooflines and the desire to smooth out car
lines resulted in the use of inset channels for windshield and rear windows,
and 'buckets' to hold the headlights.  Also, the internal structures for our
beloved fins tended to provide more places to trap moisture.

Being a recent convert to the Mopar Findom, I have owned a lot of other
makes.  Be assured that Mopar products are not the only ones who had the
corrosion problem.  Go to an antique car show and try to find ANY 57-60 cars.
 Other than the speciality models, like Thunderbirds and other convertibles,
you'll find more cars from the 1930s!

I can remember a 1959 Oldsmobile at a used car lot I hung around when I was a
kid.  It had huge holes behind the rear window.  They sent it off to a paint
shop, and when it came back, it looked wonderful.  Until I touched the spot
and my finger went through the bondo.  The car was only 7 or 8 years old.  I
live in Norfolk, Virginia, and while we do have some rust problems, it's not
really severe.

Anyway, the point is - our cars are not more rust prone than any others of
the period.  It was an industry-wide problem.

Bob Stein
59 Dodge