[FWDLK] 57 rust problem

        I have been doing a major rebuild on my 57 ply this winter and i think i
have come across the reason so many have rusted in the floor board and
trunk area. I always thought before that it was the moisture off of shoes
and such that collected from the snow and rain( I live in Iowa) but have
changed my opinion. The past couple of years i have put insuation on the
floor to try and keep the heat down and have left the car outside during
the summer most of the time. It always got wet under the mats when it
rained. I blamed that on the side windows not having good channels and
seals, but have changed my opinion on that also. When i pulled the front
windshield and rear glass out i noticed three things. the water collected
under the stainless and had no place to go, so it rusted holes in the
window frame work. that's one thing, more of a now problem than then.
        another was that water could leak throug the stainless mounting clip holes
very easily, they were supposed to be sealed but found that some were not.
the water ran through these holes and went down under the carpet where it
collected on the floor boards and rusted them.
        the third thing i noticed that over the last 40 years the body sealer
around all the seams of the fresh air intake (behind the hood and in front
of the windshield) have hardened and have either fallen away or are not
sealing, and needs replacing. agin a now more than then problem.
        I realize i've found this 40 years later than when they were acussed of
rusting to begin with but the 57 i bought in 64 and drove forever had the
same problems, but was young then and didn't care to figure out why. I
believe that the stainless trim mounting holes were a major problem then
that contributed to the rust problems, letting water through, collecting on
the floors under the carpet and rusting them prematurely. there is no other
place for this water to go as there are no drain holes under the stainless
for either the front or back window.
        just my opinion for what it's worth. Has anyone else noticed this?
Jim
57-8 plymouths
34 dodge trucks
58 Fury hide-a-bed(in my living room)

PS. i enjoy all the conversations on the list as it lets me learn more
about the cars i enjoy and what can be done to keep them going, there are
only so many original parts that can keep them going. the cars i have were
all stripped to the bare bones and left for the crusher. they may not be
all original but they are, as Willy sings "On The Road Agin" ! Most
importantly I try and pass the parts that i don't use on to someone that
will and will appreciate them. there just isn't enough parts left to save
them all in there original condition and i consider it a shame to let one
die. I'll get off my pulpet now, agin thanks for the site. jim