Re: [FWDLK] 58 Mopar rust problem? Fact, Fiction, or just w

Re: [FWDLK] 58 Mopar rust problem? Fact, Fiction, or just way overstated?

--- TheCarNutz@xxxxxxx wrote:

(snip)

> ...It was often said by Mopar diehards of the time,
> " if Chrysler Corp would just build the chassis,
> suspension and drive train, and send it out and let
> someone else build the body and put in the
interior",
> it would be the perfect car!

Interesting thought related to this: Chrysler bought
out Briggs Body, its longtime supplier, very late in
'53 (believe it was December, which means '54s
should've been out). The '55s and '56s were far enough
along they most likely did nothing different than they
would've, plus Briggs would've probably been involved
in their development as well.

Much of the '57 problems had to do with rushing into
production and rushing the finished product out the
door, but I can't help but think that many of the '57
problems probably had a lot to do with Chrysler doing
stuff all on its own that it had previously done as a
team with a high-quality supplier (Briggs also did
bodies for Packard and Hudson prior to the Chrysler
takeover).

Not sure how many Briggs people Chrysler kept on after
the takeover, but even if all stayed on, even a change
in the chain of command could muddle things... (I've
always wondered about that but never heard details.
For example, Briggs' Hudson "Monobilt" experience
would've served Chrysler well for model year '60 and beyond...)