[FWDLK] Transmission Cable

I have another question on my Powerflite transmission.

The manual cable from the push buttons is in good shape except for the outer
rubber jacket.  The fitting that inserts into the transmission has an o-ring
seal in it.  The cable under the rubber jacket is braided steel.  What seals
the transmission fluid from wicking up the interior of the cable and leaking
out around the wire braids?  Is there an internal seal of some kind?

My rubber jacket is damaged and is no longer attached to the fitting that
inserts into the transmission.  I do not want to drain my transmission
through this cable.  I hope there is an internal seal so that I can replace
the rubber jacket with Viton rubber shrink tubing.  Sealing the shrink
tubing to the fitting that goes into the transmission would be difficult.