[FWDLK] Main Bearings

I just got my block back from the machine shop and am checking the
clearances.

The main bearings appear to be out of tolerance.  I put the main bearing
half in the block dry.  I put the crank in the bearing halves with light
lubrication on it.  I put on 3/4 inch of .001 to .003 plastigage.  I snapped
the bearings in the caps and installed them dry.  I torqued the caps to spec
and removed them.  The plastigage said I had 0.003" gap.   The specs in my
shop manual said I need .0005 to .00015.  I am double that.

The crank was turned 0.010 and the bearings are 0.010.

Did I do something wrong?  Does plastigage lie to you?  Any tips would be
appreciated.

Ken Rimington
1956 Dodge Custom Royal