Re: [FWDLK] '57-59 Chrysler and DeSoto back glasses

--- Wayne Graefen <wgraefen@OMNIGLOBAL.NET> wrote:

> Can one cut into the roof of a "low backglass"
> '57-59 DeSoto Firesweep (Dodge chassis) or Firedome
> or '57-59 Chrysler Windsor or Saratoga...
>
> to install the "high back glass" (using the high
> glass's upper channel welded in) as originally used
> in '57-59 DeSoto Fireflite and Adventurer and '57-59
> New Yorker and 300...
>
> ... to achieve the higher back glass in the lesser
> models ??
>
> Supposedly one could order the larger backglass in
> the lesser models but I have NEVER seen one in 13
> years of intense involvement with all these
> particular cars.

There used to be a '59 Firesweep 2dr Sportsman in
Modesto, CA that had the big back window. I remember
staring at that sucker for the longest before I
realized I'd never seen the big back window with the
shorter (and nameless) Firesweep front clip before.

> I am certain that the windshield eyebrow of all
> these roofs is identical.  I know the door and
> quarter window glasses and runs are identical.

IIRC '57 windshield is different than '58-'59, which
if memory serves interchanges with the '57-'59
convertibles. I may not have those years quite right,
as different makes changed in different years with
Plymouth getting updated last....

> What I don't know is whether the stamping of the
> roof sheetmetal has a different slope to the shorter
> back glass which might make it impossible to line up
> the high glass channel in the low glass roof's
> sheetmetal.

Not sure.