[FWDLK] NJ DMV Registration (only partially FL related)

[FWDLK] NJ DMV Registration (only partially FL related)

This post is directed to members in NJ.  Over the past 2 years I have
registered 3 cars in NJ.  2 out of 3 (a dodge caravan and a mercedes 190e)
are were already in the DMV computers and classified in the heaviest weight
class (Class 8).

When I pointed out that this  was incorrect DMV informed me that the
designation could not be changed unless I have the cars weighed and change
the registration and title (at a new fee) on both cars I was out of luck.
Since I needed both cars on the road I gave in and ended up paying 2x what
the registration cost should be on both cars.
I am going to d othis the next time the registration is up.

I am now wondering if I am just unlucky or if there are hundreds or
even thousands of mis-classified vehicles out there.  Is the NJ DMV
collecting excess fees and making it impossible for the average guy to
correct it.

You may want to check you registrations to verify if your cars are
classified correctly.   The difference is about $25 per year per per car,
better in you pocket than the state.
Scott