Re: [FWDLK] more grinding linings to drums

Re: [FWDLK] more grinding linings to drums

It's hard to find anyone who can properly arc shoes to the drums anymore.  New
lineings are oftenn rough cut and produce mini hot spots. The reason for the
lining to be slightly less radius than the drum is that the shoes flex ever so
slightly under hard braking.and then you get total contact.  One important trick
if you can't get them arced and even if you can is always rough up the drum
whether it's turned or not-and I mean very rough with 80 grit or coarser
sandpaper.  Also sand the lining surface and bevel the leading edges. Use the
brakes as though you don't have any for a few hundred miles- break them in very
gently so the high spots don't get glazed and they will serve you well.  Never
ever "burn" them in..
Gary