[FWDLK] Torqueflite shifting problem

I have a '57 Plymouth Belvedere with the torqueflite transmission.  It
doesn't seem to want to shift into direct from second.  From a stop, in
D, it shifts once at about 10 mph, but not a second time.  It seems to
cruise OK, but I know it is supposed to shift again, as it is a
torqueflite with the 5 buttons (R, N, D, 2, 1).  The shop manual lists
several causes for this.  Does anyone know what may be the most common
cause for this?   The fluid level is fine and also smells okay and is a
good shade of red.  Any tips on this greatly appreciated.    Thanks,
Nick Nichols.   San Francisco, CA