Re: [FWDLK] Help with identification

--- Bill Watson <wwatson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The rear end is a 1961 Plymouth Fury, while the
> front end is a 1960 Plymouth Fury.  If it has the
> 1961 rear end, it more than likely a 1961 model -
> front ends are easier to change than rear ends.
>
> Either someone has put a 1960 front end onto a 1961
> body, or whatever firm in South America built the
> car used 1960 front end sheet metal on 1961 models.
> Considering the fact that the 1961 Plymouth front
end
> makes it onto every "Ten Ugliest Cars of the
> Century" list, it is actually an improvement.
>
> It would be helpful to get the VIN and the info from
> the fender data tag (if it has one).  That would
> help identify the year and manufacturer/plant.

Just to add to what Bill mentioned, there used to be a
particularly scary FL car in Santa Rosa CA in the late
'60s - early '70s. I was convinced for the longest it
was a Canadian model I hadn't seen before, until I did
some research and learned that while Chrysler did love
to mix & match front clips outside the US, they
weren't doing so at this particular time (AFAIK
anyway)...

Anyway, it was a '61 Dodge Phoenix or Pioneer 2drHT
with a '60 Plymouth front clip, painted a revolting
chalky shade of Earl Scheib lavender. Interestingly
enough, all exterior emblems that might've helped ID
the car had been removed with the exception of the
D-500 emblem...

As scary as that car was, I can't help but think the
combo of '61 Dart body and '61 Plymouth front clip
would've been even scarier, especially in that shade...