Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge Engine/Tranny

Eric,

The bore and stroke for the 326 was 3.95x3.31 while the 318 was
3.91x3.31.

My 1959 Chrysler Canada parts books shows that the connecting
rods for the 318 and the 326 are the same - 1618 697.

The heads are shown as having the same part number - 1618 720
(no A/C or A/S) or 1733 932 (with A/C or A/S).

The standard 326 piston/pin assembly is shown as 1879 739 while
the 40 over 318 piston/pin assembly is 1843 007.

Also, the bearings and crankshafts (1859 752) are the same  for
both engines.  Camshafts, though, are different - 318 is 1851 862
while 326 is 1735 982, while 318 pushrods are 1618 677 and the 326
takes 1639 950.   Valves are the same for both engines.

So, although the .40 over 318 pistons are a different part number
from the standard 326 pistons, theoretically they should fit.

Bill W

> Hello all-
>
> I recieved so many replies to my plea for help, that it would be easier to
> reply to the list.
>
> Thanks for all of your help; the proplem was that pesky bolt behind the
torque
> converter that held the bell housing to the block.
>
> My mechanic friend is still trying to talk me into putting the '68 383 in
the
> car.  I really want to put the original engine back in, but he says that
> because they only made the 326 for 1 year that parts will be very
expensive.
> We aren't entirely sure of the condition of the motor; we are going to
tear
> down the bottom half of the motor the end of this week, and send it to the
> Napa machine shop to be tanked.
>
> I recall someone saying that 318 pistons will work in a 326 bored 40 over.
Is