Re: [FWDLK] Power steering question

Nick,

The P/S and non-P/S generators are different. The P/S generator has mounting
provisions at the back for the P/S Pump. Also the shaft of the P/S armature
protrudes with fingers to couple with the pump. The P/S generator 2 groove
pulley does not interchange with the non-P/S generator 1 groove pulley,
because the shaft is larger for the P/S (probably all the way thru the
generator). Electrically, the generators will interchange.

Separating the generator and pump is simple, just un-bolt. No gaskets. When
reassembling, just align the fingers on the shaft with the pump.

I am not sure about the two styles of pumps. They may be interchangeable,
just from different manufacturers, or just different years. If it fits it
should work.

Most cars in 1956 used ATF for the P/S system. P/S fluid came later, but I
am not sure when.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500