[FWDLK] Power steering question

Howdy group.
I now have all the parts for the power steering conversion for the 56 Plym.
I have a couple of questions.

Are the generators for a power and non power car the same with the pump just
added to the back of the generator ?
I was hoping to use my original generator since I know it works well and I
know nothing about the one out of the parts car.

I also have an extra power steering pump/generator that I though was from a
56. The pump off the parts car has a large lid and retaing ring, kind of
like a 55 galon drum lid. The extra one has a dipstick, like a newer car
has. Are these pumps interchangeble ? Or is my extra one just an extra un
useable piece I have.
It looks like the pump bolts to the back of the generator. Is it safe to
disconnect these two parts so I can paint them ? Is there anything I should
watch out for ?

When I do get this installed, can I just use auto trans fluid for the power
steering fluid.

Thanks,
Nick