[FWDLK] Power Steering Fluid?

I am curious - in thirty years of messing with cars, some of those years as a
profressional mechanic, ATF was always used in power steering systems.  With
the exception of some later cars, such as Honda, it is still used as far as I
know.  Certainly the cars all the way through the eighties use ATF, though
you can always by small plastic bottles of 'power steering fluid' - ATF at
triple the normal price.

Is my memory at fault?  (Not surprising - it never worked that good in the
first place.)

Bob
59 Dodge