[FWDLK] '55 dodge royal-carb problem

Hello, I have a '55 dodge royal lancer with the red ram engine. Up until a
couple years ago it ran silent and strong, then it just quit one day on the
road, 75k original, driven once or twice a year scince around 1984. We
thought it was the fuel pump, so it was replaced. It did actually start
after that, but, within a half minute, gas began pouring out around the
sides of the carb, through little holes, a lot of it, and it ran rough, too
dangerous to keep driving it. What happened? It was running perfect, then
whammo, twighlite zone. I know the fuel was never drained after storage all
those years. Could the gas have gotten so old that it carmelized, and when
the new fuel pump was placed on the car it was too much new pressure in an
already gummed carburator, that it busted the seals or float in the carb?
What would be the best action, the car is near flawless and original, I
don't want to screw it up any more than it is now.