Re: [FWDLK] Radial tire harshness

Greetings FWDLKR's! - Just a note on the radial-tire "harshness" thing -
there are TREMENDOUS differences in low speed ride quality between brands of
tires produced today.  If you are suffereing from such "harshness" with your
radials, - don't necessarily blame your "non-radial" suspension.  Virtually
all cars produced lately have a "radial-tuned" suspension, and many of these
cars suffer from the same low speed harshness that can be found in
non-radial-tuned vehicles, and it is due to the tire itself.  Now I am not a
tire "expert", but my butt is *not* numb, and my ears work, and there are a
*lot* of cars out there with this problem.
Best way to avoid this "problem" is to use Michelin tires.  There are many
other brands available that are just fine, but not knowing *which* brands to
use can lead to expensive R & D.   Don't bother asking the tire dealer - if
he knew, he probably wouldn't tell you anyway.  The only one I know for sure
that won't have this problem is the Michelin.  NOTE - Here are two brands to
avoid - Big O "Legacy" (this tire will turn almost any car into a dump
truck), and "Mastercraft" - about the same results.   The "legacy" is
manufactured by a company that makes truck tires (it shows), I have no idea
where the "Mastercraft" originates, but it is sold by Michel Tire - not a
"slam" against Michel Tire - they have many fine brands available (I do not
however, know for sure which ones are "good" - just that the Mastercraft is
not).  I recently installed a set of Firestone "SS 010"s on my daughter's
car - very nice ride qualities.  Her car is not an "old car", but the tires
I removed (with *lots* of tread still on them BTW) were horrible. - oh yeah,
they were the "Radial GTS" - sold by NTB (National Tire & Battery) - add
them to your list of "don'ts".   Wish I could offer more info, but that's
about it.  Next time you ride in someone's car with a particularly nice ride
at low speeds, make a note of the brand of tire on it - and add it to your
list of "do's".  (and vice-versa!)
Regards,
DaveG.