No Subject

> And no one seems to be aware of any 58 New Yorker with AutoPilot, so now
> I ask whether anyone, with the latest (4th??) edition of the Standard
> Catalog of American Cars, can confirm whether that publication still
> says (as the 3rd ed. does) that AutoPilot was an option on the 58
> Chryslers?
-snip-
> But then we come back to "Why isn't it
> in the 58 Shop Manual or Parts List?".

Hi Richard -

I can probably answer your questions.  The 'auto pilot' they are talking
about is what we 59 Dodge guys call a 'speed-minder' speedometer.  It might
have been called the same thing on other models, but I'm not sure.  This was
a little gee-gaw on the speedometer that could be pre-set and would buzz and
flash the hand brake light if you exceeded the preset limit.  It was
actually introduced in Jan 1958 for a few 58 models.  My friend has a 58
Dodge Custom Royal Regal Lancer that has this option.  Additionally, my
friend also has the technical service bulletin that documents the
introduction of this option in Jan. 1958.

Hope this clears things up.

Ron