[FWDLK] Stainless/chrome?

Well, I've finally finished restoring all my stainless and have it all wrapped up and put away until the car is painted. All except for those huge gravel shields behind the rear wheel weld. My question is are those bad boys stainless that has been flash chromed? Someone on the list let me know why it took so long to bring my wheelcovers back up to a mirror finish after I had removed all the scratches. I had been buffing off the chrome top finish. I was just wondering if  these
were also chrome over stainless and how to deal with them if they were. There is not really a hidden place to test it out.
They are on a '60 Dodge and are similar to ones I've seen on Plymouth's. Any info. or experience out there on this?
Deane