[FWDLK] 58 Chrylser Brakes - Poor Pedal

Hello, Forward Lookers:

Are there any experts out there who can help solve the mysteries of the
1958 Chrysler braking system?

The mechanics (all over 50 and experienced with drum brake systems, but
not necessarily center plane 1950s Chrysler brakes) at my garage are
having some trouble with my 58 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country
wagon's brakes.

The brake system consists of: new front and rear wheel cylinders, new
brake lines, new flex hoses; rebuilt master cylinder and rebuilt
booster.

If it matters, it appears that the rear axle (or at least the backing
plates and rear wheel cylinders) has been swapped to a 65-68 Chrysler
style. Upon measurement, the rear wheel cylinder bores are smaller,
rather than larger, than the front wheel cylinders.

There was suspicion of the rebuilt master cylinder, and when the
difficulty in getting a good hard pedal arose, all the "usual"
things were done, including rearranging the bleeder on the RF wheel, so
that the bleeder screw was at the top, rather than the bottom. So, a
new, remanufactured master cylinder was put on, to eliminate any doubts
about the rebuilt master cylinder. No improvement.

When the front flex hoses are pinched closed, there is a good firm high
pedal.  When the front flex hoses are opened, the pedal is only about
half way, and is soft enough to go down toward the floor. Apparently,
there is no fluid leak visible, and so it is presumed that there is no
air leaking into the system.

What should be done to get a firm pedal?

Dick Woodside
there's no stopping me now!