Re: [FWDLK] TorqueFlite question...

--- Jim Pennington <pennington@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just purchased a '61 Fury 4dr hardtop.  The car is
> really solid and is equipped with a great running
> 318-4bbl.  The transmission is shot, however.
> This car was driven almost daily for the past two
> years until the transmission completely conked out.
> Here's my question:  I have an excellent
> TorqueFlite out of a '65 Coronet (wide block 318).
> Would I experience any "mis-match" problems if I
> swap this tranny into the Fury?

There are a series of things different, the pushbutton
linkage being one of the lesser discrepancies (I'll
get back to that shortly). '61 and earlier V8 TFs are
in a cast iron case and have a drum emergency brake
between the tailshaft and the driveshaft. '62 and
later TFs are in an aluminum case, and most cars with
this later TF have the e-brake at the rear wheels. I
believe it'd be possible to mount a driveshaft e-brake
from a '62 Imperial on the Coronet's 727 tranny, but I
don't know anyone who has done it so I can't speak
with certainty.

> The '65 is (of course) not push button equipped.
> Did the '56-'64 automatics have something that the
> later trannys did not that allowed for the push
> button linkage?

Not only did '56-'64 TFs shift via cable, the '65s did
as well. '66 and newer TFs shift via a series of rods.
The '65 is basically a pushbutton unit converted to
column or floor shift, while '66 & newer are a whole
different animal, at least as far as shift linkage.

> I realize that sometime around '65 the tailshafts
> changed on Mopar transmissions to the "sliding yoke"

> set-up, and if I use a later transmission I will
> have to change driveshafts.  I really cannot afford
> full transmission rebuild at this time and am
looking
> for a way to cut costs.  Any help is appreciated....

Between the column conversion and tailshaft change, a
'65 TF has more model year specific features than any
other TF I am aware of. This is why '65 TFs,
particularly the 727 (which your 318 would have) are
somewhat more of a big deal than other years. If I
were in your position I would look for someone who
wanted to trade a good earlier TF for your '65 tranny.
If I was not concerned with originality, I'd try to
find a '62-'64 aluminum-case TF 727 (it costs much
less to have one rebuilt compared to the cast iron
version, at least locally) and try to mate one of the
'62 tailshaft e-brakes (Chrysler, Imperial and
possibly Dodge Custom 880 but I'm not sure about that
last one) to it. Even so, I think a driveshaft change
would probably still be necessary (I believe aluminum
and cast iron TFs are different lengths but am not
100% sure).

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban