[FWDLK] Prowler Lives!

It's not fins, but it's Plymouth living on...

-Dave

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/000711/n28167905.html

Tuesday July 11, 8:01 am Eastern Time

DaimlerChrysler to keep making Prowler roadster
By Ben Klayman

DETROIT, July 11 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler AG (NYSE:DCX - news) has
decided to bring
the outlandish Prowler roadster back from the brink.

The German-U.S. automaker's North American unit said on Tuesday that
Prowler will live on after the death of the Plymouth brand name at the
end of the 2001 model year, reversing the company's original decision to
do away with the two-seater.

The Chrysler group said the Prowler will continue under the Chrysler
brand. More than 5,000 of the cars have been sold since it
first went on the market about 3-1/2 years ago.

John Herlitz, Chrysler group's senior vice president of design, said
Prowler will be replaced one day by another brand-building image
vehicle, but for now it is profitable and in demand.

``We're always looking for that next one,'' he told Reuters. ``What is
the next Prowler? We're committed to image vehicles.''

The automaker said last November the Plymouth brand would be eliminated
at the end of the 2001 model year to focus more on the growing Chrysler
nameplate.

Company officials said then that Prowler had always been intended as a
limited-production vehicle.

Styled like a 1930s hot rod, Prowler was first shown as a concept car at
the 1993 North American International Auto Show in
Detroit.

A favourable response led Chrysler to unveil a production model in 1996
and manufacturing began the following year at a Detroit
plant alongside the Dodge Viper sports car.