[FWDLK] PCV Valve

This is a tutor the dummy request.
My 56 Dodge Custom Royal came with the crank case breather tube disconnected
and dangling.  In its place is a PCV adapter with an in line PCV valve and
an adapter plate under the carburetor.

I cleaned the valve and the valve seems to work, I think.  When I suck on
the end towards the manifold I get flow through the valve without a lot of
restriction.  When I suck on the other end the valve shuts.  The adapter
plate is on top of the intake manifold, under the carburetor.  It is a
direct opening into the vacuum at the base of the carburetor.  I am thinking
this will be a big vacuum leak if the PCV valve is installed as indicated on
the valve.

How is a PCV valve supposed to work, so I can verify mine is working and is
not installed backwards.  Should I try to get a grommet to fit the opening
in the valley cover and install a modern PCV valve?

Thanks in advance for the tutoring.

Ken Rimington
1956 Dodge Custom Royal
(chassis restored, engine, tranny and driveline to be installed this
week!!!)