[FWDLK] technical question

I know this question is out of  range of the cars on this list, but hopefully someone has the answer to this problem.
A friend of mine has a 1942 DeSoto with the tip toe fluid drive.  While restoring the car and working on the transmission, emptied the fluid from the torque converter.  It was thick fluid, like oil, not transmission fluid. All he has to go by is the 1942 mopar part number which crosses to nothing else.  I believe whatever was in there was intended to last the life of the car. The only way to add or empty it was to remove the plug from the torque converter.  We know the transmission oil level tag states 10W non detergent, but no specs on the converter. Any comments will be appreciated.  I own a 1952 DeSoto with the same transmission, but never had a problem.    Thanks...

Joe P