Re: [FWDLK] 55' DeSoto 12V Conversion

--- Andy Compton <pilotandy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm working on converting my 1955 DeSoto 4dr sedan
> from 6V to 12V.  I've already gotten nearly
> everything working with it (installed alternator
> w/custom bracket, got ignition setup, got new
> starter relay working).  I plan on using a voltage
> reducer i've seen in the JC Whitney catalog for the
> guages, but i'd like to get all 12 volt motors for
> the blowers and windshield wipers.  Does anyone know
> if the ones on a 56' DeSoto will fit?  Also, can i
> use the guages and gas sensor from a 56?

Pretty sure all the '56 stuff will physically fit,
altho the gauge faces from a '56 will be the wrong
color. IIRC the '55 is a positive ground car (could be
mistaken, but I think they changed to negative ground
when they went to 12V) which may mean some other
headaches as well.

You mentioned an alternator with a custom bracket. Is
that a manual steering car, or are you going with a
newer PS pump as well? If it's the latter, let us know
how that works out.