Re: [FWDLK] 61 Dodge Squad

Congrats on the new ride, Stokie! The 318 establishes
it as a Dart-based squad; Polara squads were not in
the catalog in '61, but the California Highway Patrol
(who wanted a 122" wheelbase) managed to talk Dodge
into making them a few hundred. Like the '60 CHP
squad, which I think was a Matador, the '61 had the
Dart grille despite being a Polara. Of course, in '61
this was accomplished by simply leaving the Polara
grill centerpiece off...

I highly recommend the book "Plymouth, Dodge &
Chrysler Police Cars 1956-1978" by Sanow and Bellah.
(I might have the makes listed in the wrong order
vis-a-vis the book title, but I know you can figure it
out.) There are some great pics of a restored CHP '61,
and indepth coverage of the restoration of a CHP '63
Dodge 880.

Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
(not a squad, but solid black... except for the
rust...)